Monday 12 July 2010

England, England

Now that the World Cup has finished . . . except on television and endless commentary . . . perhaps this would be a good time to consider the anthem that's played for the England team.

I noticed during our matches that 'God Save the Queen' is played.  There's a problem with this . . . it's the national anthem for the UK.  England needs its own anthem.

I've mentioned this to a few friends and the considered opinion is that we should use Jerusalem.   I was initially against this, since it might appear that we would be appropriating the hymn closely associate with the WI - an organisation for which I have great respect.  My knowledge of the WI is moderate, to say the least, but I do know it's far from stuffy and often quite radical in its thinking.  Anyway, back to the point.

I've failed to come up with a song or tune more apt and equally as stirring.  So Jerusalem it could be.  It would sound terrific sung by thousands, and most people know the words and tune (at least in part.)  If it were adopted, we'd quickly get up to speed on it (metaphorically, of course.)

On the other hand, if there are better suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment